Monday, March 30, 2009

"Watch" This!

I am one of those people who is prone to lose a watch shortly after donning it, especially because I don't like wearing one when I'm typing on a keyboard. For this reason, I keep the nice watch locked up at home and use a cheap watch when traveling. While I was in Italy last time, I went to an outdoor market and found this watch (the one in the photo) for only 5 euros, about $7.50. It runs pretty well, no problems, but one look at the watch and you may see why it's so cheap. Any ideas? What do YOU think?

4 comments:

cjw said...

The four is wrong.

Joe Ganci said...

Yes, that's right. Also the three little dials in the middle are just for show and don't do anything. In fact, the bottom one doesn't even have a hand. :-)

Anonymous said...

Four is not wrong. Google 'roman numerals iiii' for >38K hits on the subject.

Does the bottom dial rotate once per day? If yes, (blue sky 18->6) would be "night" - but at 4:15 I would expect "16" to {perhaps} correspond to the 6-o'clock tick-mark... eh?

Joe Ganci said...

OK, iiii works for 4 (though it's unconventional). The dials don't work at all, they don't rotate. In fact, the hour and minute hands have stopped working too! It's worked fine for a year, not bad for a $5 watch. :-)