Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Starbucks and Politics

My local Starbucks has some cute young lady baristas who will be able to vote this year for the first time. They know me pretty well by now so today they engaged me in conversation as for whom I was going to vote. One of them told me she was a feminist but that she was uncomfortable voting for a woman for president. When I asked why, she said, "What if she gets bad PMS and then decides to bomb a country?"

I had to inform her that Hillary Clinton is 61 years old and way past menopause by now, so I was pretty sure she was NOT going to get PMS!

"Oh, good point," she said!

Besides, with that excuse, how can women ever advance any further? This from a self-professed feminist, no less!

Just so we're clear, though, this is a question of being young, not being less intelligent. This young lady strikes me as very smart, just learning still!

1 comment:

Laura said...

WAY past menopause? Maybe this is too much information, but Joe, get serious. There are some women who are lucky enough to get menopause early. Then there are the ones like me. 51 and regular as clockwork. Not even a hint at PERI menopause, let along the whole magilla.

On the other hand, it's pretty rare that you will note a woman of - ahem - a certain age letting PMS get in the way of rational thinking.

Just as an FYI, I am not necessarily endorsing Hillary for President. The primary was a coin toss for me and although I am leaning a little bit further towards the candidate I voted for on that day, I am in no way committed.

Yeah, we live in interesting times.